When you look at the facts, the benefits of public transportation are easy to see. According to recent census data nearly 70% of Nassau County and 80% of Suffolk County residents drive to work alone. Following are just some of the statistics that show the impact this is having on individuals, our community and our world.
Transportation & Energy Use:
- Today, Americans use more energy for transportation than any other activity - including industrial and commercial uses. (www.publictransportation.org)
- Transit use offers the single most effective strategy currently available for achieving significant energy savings and improving air quality…without imposing new taxes, government mandates or regulations. (www.publictransportation.org)
Environmental & Health:
- More than 140 million Americans - 25% of whom are children - live, work and play in areas where air quality does not meet national standards. Harmful motor vehicle emissions account for between 25 and 51% of the air pollutants in these non-attainment areas. (EPA and American Lung Association, State of the Air 2002 Report, Executive Summary)
- The annual cost of health damage from motor vehicle pollution is estimated to be between $29 billion and $530 billion. (www.epa.gov/piedpage/pdf/built.pdf)
- Compared with private vehicles, public transportation produces, on average, per passenger mile, 95% less carbon monoxide, 92% fewer volatile organic compounds, 45% less carbon dioxide and 48% less nitrogen oxide. (Shapiro, Robert J. et al, Conserving energy and Preserving the Environment: The Role of Public Transportation, July 2002)
- The average American driver may spend more than 450 hours each year - equal to nearly 11 work weeks - behind the wheel. (Pope, C., Solving Sprawl, The Sierra Club, 1999, www.sierraclub.org)
Increased use of public transportation options will help reduce the number of cars on local roads and that means:
- Fewer harmful emissions
- More efficient travel
- Decreased roadway accidents
- Reduced noise pollution
- Reduced damage to trees and other plants
Good for you. Good for the environment.
Since the TRANSIT SOLUTIONS program began, the following employers on Long Island are just a few of the companies that have implemented the pre-tax commuter benefit program.